Written by CASPIC webmaster
Sunday, 18 February 2007 00:00
The scientific and technological objectives of CASPIC are:
- Use an integrated systems biology approach to understand and exploit plant cell wall texture for the future production of (ligno)cellulosic (nano)materials with unique multifunctional properties.
- Provide a knowledge platform for future innovation in cell wall-based industrial products, a step toward a knowledge based society.
- Contribute to a paradigm shift from a reductionist to a systems biology approach for generating innovation in fundamental and applied sciences.
- Communicate the scientific and technological knowledge/breakthroughs generated in the project to scientific and industrial end-users and the general public.
- Development of poplar and Arabidopsis plants with an altered number of active cellulose synthases and an altered cellulose to matrix ratio
- Development of novel tools for manipulating and monitoring the cellular and mechanical properties of plant cell walls.
- Analysis of the effect of altering cellulose synthase number and cellulose to matrix ratio on cell wall chemistry
- Analysis of the effect of altering cellulose synthase number and cellulose to matrix ratio on cell wall texture
- Analysis of the effect of altering cellulose synthase number and cellulose to matrix ratio on cell wall mechanical properties
- Arabidopsis and poplar plants with modified cellulose synthase complex numbers and cellulose/cell wall matrix ratio
- Database of chemical-, cellular- and mechanical properties of Arabidopsis and poplar plants with modified cellulose synthase complex numbers and cellulose/cell wall matrix ratio
- Modify specific genes and hence specific parameters of the geo-model
- Determine the effect introduced genes have on wall structure, composition, and mechanics
- Platform from which to modify plant cell wall structure in a targeted fashion for industrial applications
- Theory on the impact of genes in the pectin production pathway on cell wall structure
- Theory on the impact of cell wall texture on mechanical properties
- Platform from which to modify poplar cell wall structure in a targeted fashion for pulp, paper and timber industry
- Iterative experimentation and theory
- Predict material properties from systems parameters
- Provide a theory-driven perspective for plant design
- Systems biology of Arabidopsis cell wall
- Systems biology of Poplar cell wall
- Communicate the concepts and results of the CASPIC project to the scientific community
- Communicate the technological breakthroughs and applications of the CASPIC project to the industrial end-users
- Communicate the CASPIC project and its underlying philosophy to students and the non-scientific community
- Organisation of industrial end-users workshops
- Organisation of a European workshop on ‘Systems Biology for Plant Design'
- Establishment of the CASPIC website
Last Updated on Thursday, 27 January 2011 11:14